100% CPU utilisation from time to time

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Wed Jan 17 00:08:04 CET 2007

Tomoiaga Cristian spake the following on 1/16/2007 12:36 PM:
> Thanks for the answer.
>
> I use Bayes.
> I am not very shure about expires and where to look for them.
> In debug mode I see something like this:
>
> [574] dbg: bayes: tie-ing to DB file R/O
> /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/bayes_toks
> [574] dbg: bayes: tie-ing to DB file R/O
> /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/bayes_seen
> [574] dbg: bayes: found bayes db version 3
> [574] dbg: bayes: opportunistic call attempt skipped, found fresh running
> expire magic token
> [574] dbg: bayes: corpus size: nspam = 35070, nham = 69019
> [574] dbg: bayes: score = 0
> [574] dbg: bayes: opportunistic call attempt skipped, found fresh running
> expire magic token
> bayes: cannot write to /var/spool/mqueue/.spamassassin/bayes_journal, bayes
> db update ignored: Permission denied
> [574] dbg: bayes: untie-ing
> [574] dbg: bayes: untie-ing db_toks
> [574] dbg: bayes: untie-ing db_seen
It looks like you are having a problem with your bayes expiry runs. They are
timing out spamassassin. You can either have mailscanner do the expires, or
you can run a cron job with sa-learn --force-expire.

# If you are using the Bayesian statistics engine on a busy server,
# you may well need to force a Bayesian database rebuild and expiry
# at regular intervals. This is measures in seconds.
# 1 day = 86400 seconds.
# To disable this feature set this to 0.
# Note: If you enable this feature, set "bayes_auto_expire 0" in
#       spam.assasssin.prefs.conf which you will find in the same
#       directory as this file.
Rebuild Bayes Every = 86400
You can cut this in half to run twice a day.
And make sure you have set Wait During Bayes Rebuild = yes
TO clear things now, you can stop mailscanner, and run sa-learn --force-expire
as the user that your mta runs as.

Here are some things to read;
http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2005-March/047227.html
http://lists.mailscanner.info/pipermail/mailscanner/2005-March/047236.html