Sendmail hijacking Mailscanner

Chris Hardy chris at clh.org.uk
Mon Jan 15 19:30:59 CET 2007

Gordon Colyn wrote:
> ITNT Banner CampaignHi all,
>
> I have a problem where somehow sendmail gets started on my Linux server
> running MailScanner and therefore spam mail gets through as it by-passes the
> mailscanner process.  I have crawled through all the logs and have no idea
> what starts the sendmail process and it is also completely random...very
> frustrating.  Does anyone know of a script or a way that I can test to see
> if sendmail is running then stop the process automatically?
>
> I am running Mandriva 2006, with sendmail 8.13.4.
>
> thanks
>
> Gordon Colyn

Hi Gordon,

I had the same problem - and it came down to a logrotate issue - one of
them wanted to stop and start sendmail within it..
I removed the sendmail line from the script, and hey-presto, no more
sendmail taking over :)

If i remember the file, i'll let you know, but check the files in the
/etc/logrotate.d directory - one of them has it in there

HTH

chris

dangerous content by www.clh.org.uk, and is
believed to be clean.