IP range getting blocked

Victor DiMichina victor at pixelmagicfx.com
Mon Jan 15 19:30:33 CET 2007

I have a question on certain providers blocking an entire range of IP
addresses.    We're a small company,  and have our own mail server
locked down pretty well.   However,  from ONE local ISP,   our mail is
getting rejected because we fall under a Class B subnet that they choose
to block.

We are on 69.17.96.163,   and don't show up in any blacklists that I
have seen.     However,  this local free provider is blocking
69.17.96.###.   Is it just me,  or is that a very "90's"  approach to
spam control?      With the RBLs as they are today,  as well as tools
like Mailscanner,  Spam Assassin,  DCC,  etc,  doesn't it seem a bit
harsh to block entire IP ranges?   Wouldn't the end customer be the only
one to suffer as he/she is not getting legitimate e-mail?

Thanks
Vic