*** MULIG SPAM*** Re: Distributed setup with realtime failover/balancing

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Sat Jan 13 20:06:44 CET 2007

jonas at vrt.dk wrote:
> Hello

>> setup

>> How is an LVS solution going to solve that?  However you implement it
>> the connection will be load balanced across the MailScanner boxes and
>> they will spool to disk.  Once the connection is closed the LVS is no
>> longer involved.
>>
>> If this is a requirement then you will have to move to something that
>> analyses the email as it is being spooled to disk (e.g. a milter). Also
>> how are you going to track whether a message has been delivered or not?
>>

> I am sorry, I have not been very clear. The main reason for me to desire a
> distributed setup, is to have the quarantine directory always be available.
> That's where DRBD comes in. ultramonkey/lvs/heartbeat is just to spread out
> the load on apache and mysql. And also to facilitate failover.
>
> Mails that are in actual transit (meaning in the in or outgoing queues) are
> more acceptable to loose, than users not being able to release mails from
> the quarantine. At least they are for me.
>
> I hope that explains it a little bit better.
>
> Best regards
>
> Jonas Larsen

Do remember that multiple MX records with the same priority number will
provide you with load-balancing between multiple MX hosts for free. You
need to have a third system running MailWatch (I think) but the mail
load balancing doesn't require any special hardware or software at all.

Do it the cheap way :-)

Jules

--
Julian Field MEng CITP