slightly OT - mailwatch + mailscanner-mrtg

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Jan 12 16:49:22 CET 2007

On 12/01/07, Sylvain Phaneuf <Sylvain.Phaneuf at imsu.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> <Richard.Frovarp at sendit.nodak.edu>
> wrote:
>

> MailScanner-MRTG tells me that we
> > received 51,805 messages on one of our gateways yesterday (a
> modified
> > vispan script gives me 51,746). If I create a report to find the
> number
> > of messages processed in Mailwatch, I get "Message count = 21,470".
>
> > Is it a difference in messages versus recipients? MailWatch only
> counts
> > messages. I know MailScanner-MRTG will give you messages and
> recipients.
> > For the spam statistics, MailWatch can't count anything rejected by
> the
> > MTA, where MailScanner-MRTG does.
>

> Sorry, I should have made that clear. The number of recipients was
> 61,544 according to Mailscanner-MRTG.
>

> Sylvain

I think Richard is on the right track there, the difference including
rejected by MTA would fit... Or... If you use Postfix, some
"semi-naïve" statistics analysers might get thoroughly confised by the
HOLD feature, counting every message twice... Oh, I see you use
Sendmail, so that's not it then:-).

I guess you'll just have to do two things: manually check that the log
matches up with mailscanner-mrtg, as well as with MailWatch, for a
not-to excessively huge period of time.

--
-- Glenn