Bug, or configuration option I missed?

randyf at sibernet.com randyf at sibernet.com
Sun Jan 7 05:06:11 CET 2007

On Sat, 6 Jan 2007, Julian Field wrote:

> That's a very interesting one. Can you give me a repeatable setup that will
> reliably cause this problem?
> What scanner was it that ran into trouble?
> This one is definitely worth further investigation.
>
> Jules.

   The virus scanner is Sophos, and the libraries were on a failing disk,
such that they could not be loaded for scanning.  I had also configured
MailScanner to NOT use the SAVI module, so each attempt at virus scanning
caused the sweep process to dump core.  I suspect it might be able to be
reproduced by generating a corrupted library and return the configuration
to use sophos and not sophossavi (and I might experiment a bit).

   The logfiles for a single message from lists.mailscanner.info during
that time are as follows:

Jan  5 09:07:03 husky sendmail[23558]: [ID 801593 mail.info] l05H6rV4023558: from=<mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info>, size=9365, class=-30, nrcpts=1,
msgid=<003201c730ec$10c353c0$1c00a8c0 at pcaharjg2>, proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA-v4, relay=safir.blacknight.ie [83.98.192.7]

Jan  5 09:09:11 localhost MailScanner[18860]: Message l05H6rV4023558 from 83.98.192.7 (mailscanner-bounces at lists.mailscanner.info) is whitelisted

Jan  5 09:14:29 localhost MailScanner[18860]: Commercial scanner sophos timed out!

Jan  5 09:14:29 localhost MailScanner[18860]: sophos: Failed to complete, timed out

Jan  5 09:14:29 localhost MailScanner[18860]: Virus Scanning: Denial Of Service attack is in message l05H6rV4023558

Jan  5 09:25:43 localhost MailScanner[18860]: Infected message l05H6rV4023558 came from 83.98.192.7

Jan  5 09:25:43 localhost MailScanner[18860]: Viruses marked as silent: Denial of Service attack in message!

   The primary failure was something in the system that has since been
fixed (corrupted disk where the bad area just happened to be a Sophos
library), but along the way, a lot of mail was lost (fortunately, a lot of
spam, and list email that has archives, so there probably isn't anything
too terribly important that is not obtainable).  It also made me change
the configuration to quarantine all "viruses", since not much comes my way
anymore.  So in theory, I won't loose email if I can generate a test
condition.

   Note, that I also whitelist lists.mailscanner.info, and this message was
still tossed (even though I didn't actually look at the source, I suspect
that the "whitelist" is for spam and not viruses).

   If I come up with a test condition that doesn't require bad hardware, I
will send it on.  BTW, the machine is an x86 opteron running Solaris 10-6/06
(a.k.a. S10u2) and MailScanner-4.56.8 (a little behind, but not that
much).

   Thanks, Jules!

RF