Bug, or configuration option I missed?

randyf at sibernet.com randyf at sibernet.com
Fri Jan 5 23:14:53 CET 2007

Hi Folks-

   I had an interesting failure overnight that effectively was caused by a
corrupted library for the virus scanner.  This caused the virus scanner to
time out in the eyes of MailScanner (and dump a lot of corefiles), and
MailScanner then proceeded to believe that this was a silent virus and
toss it as any of the other silent viruses (MailScanner thought it was a
denial of service attack).

   If there isn't a configuration option to deal with this scenario, what
would be better than tossing messages, would have been to quarantine the
messages.  But as in my case, I suspect that other checks in MailScanner
would have caught a possible virus in that flurry, it would have been best
to send the message through the remaining tests, and flag it somehow as
not passing virus scanning.

   Is this a bug/feature-request, or did I miss a configuration option to
handle virus scanner failures?

   Thanks!

RF