MailScanner <defunct> and 100% CPU from time to time

Tomoiaga Cristian cristi at elvsoft.com
Fri Jan 5 10:04:31 CET 2007

Hello,

I have a problem with MailScanner.

Distro: CentOS 4.4
CPU: Intel P4 HT
MailScanner 2.46

I used the ConfigServ package to install it and everything worked well until
I updated to 2.40. Everytime I started MailScanner, after a few seconds the
first MailScanner childrens get <defunct> and stay that way until a new
restart. And so on. I've checked maillog but everything looks OK, no errors.

Updateing to 2.46 did not solve the <defunct> problem.
I do not really mind that problem because those processes do not use mem and
 CPU, but with 2.46 from time to time (from 30 to 30 minutes) I see
MailScanner use 100% of my CPU and stops after receiving a SIGTERM.
Does anyone know something about this ?

Thanks, Tomoiaga