maillog complaining about ownership of /var/spool/postfix

Kevin Bedford kevin at univexsystems.com
Fri Jan 5 06:29:16 CET 2007

Greetings,

I appologise if this is a stupid question but I can't find any
difference between this system and others I have that don't generate
this message but I have not been able to find any other information on
the problem which is as follows.

The system is a new install with CentOs 4.4, Postfix, MailScanner
Spamassassin and MailWatch.  Postfix is running chroot.  Everything
appears ok but the maillog keeps repeating the following message:

Jan  5 16:57:50 mail MailScanner[26136]: Enabling SpamAssassin
auto-whitelist functionality...
Jan  5 16:57:57 mail MailScanner[26136]: /var/spool/postfix is not owned
by user 89 !

User 89 by the way is postfix but according to other documentation I
have found /var/spool/postfix should be owned by root which it is and is
by default.  If I change this then postfix complains and dies.

Here is the ownership of everything in /var/spool/postfix

drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Nov 23 04:02 active
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Aug 13 08:07 bounce
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Aug 13 08:07 corrupt
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Aug 13 08:07 defer
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Aug 13 08:07 deferred
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     4096 Jan  3 20:41 etc
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Aug 13 08:07 flush
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Jan  5 04:02 hold
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Jan  5 04:02 incoming
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     4096 Nov 29 10:45 lib
drwx-wx---  2 postfix postdrop 4096 Jan  5 04:02 maildrop
drwxr-xr-x  2 root    root     4096 Nov 21 00:05 pid
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Jan  5 17:14 private
drwx--x---  2 postfix postdrop 4096 Jan  5 17:14 public
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Aug 13 08:07 saved
drwx------  2 postfix root     4096 Aug 13 08:07 trace
drwxr-xr-x  3 root    root     4096 Nov 29 10:45 usr

Because the ownership message always appears directly after the one
about Enabling SpamAssassin auto-whitelist functionality I am suspicious
that is has something to do with this.

Does anyone have any ideas on the likely cause or is it something I
should ignore?

Regards
Kevin