"Virus Scanning" ruleset being ignored?

Daniel Maher daniel.maher at ubisoft.com
Wed Jan 3 16:35:29 CET 2007

Hello all,

I am attempting to set up a very simple ruleset for the "Virus Scanning" directive.  In this ruleset, there is one From address for which virus scanning is disabled, followed by a default of yes.  I then pointed the directive in MailScanner.conf to the path and filename of the ruleset.  Unfortunately, the ruleset is apparently being ignored.

MailScanner.conf:

Virus Scanning = /etc/MailScanner/rules/virus.scanning.rules

virus.scanning.rules:

From:       somebody at somewhere.org        no

From:       default                       yes

Mail from "somebody at somewhere.org" will still be scanned for viruses, however.  Following this attempt, I decided to see if the following simple ruleset would have any effect:

FromOrTo:   default                       no

This was also ignored, as all mail was still scanned.  The only way that I could manage any effect whatsoever was to set the following in MailScanner.conf:

Virus Scanning = no

This did exactly what it's supposed to do - though it's hardly the solution I'm looking for. :P

The permissions on path and filename for the ruleset are fine; in fact, I'm using another ruleset for a different directive already, in the same format (and it works properly).  Any ideas on why the new one doesn't appear to have any effect would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

--

  _
 °v°  Daniel Maher

SMASH '5' FOR VICTORY!