clamav and mailscanner

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 28 20:06:59 CET 2007

On 28/02/07, Zivago Lee <z at ziff.net> wrote:
(snip)
> > Check /usr/local/share/clamav/daily.inc. We've found several servers
> > having problems after upgrading clamav to 0.90 and using clamavmodule.
> > Seems like the new daily.inc directory has been created with the wrong
> > permissions - it was 700 but I think needs to be 755 so that the
> > mailscanner user can read it.
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Sarah Trayser
>
> Thanks Glenn and Sarah.  Using Glenn's suggestion I got this:
>
> -sh-3.00$ clamscan
> LibClamAV Error: cli_loaddbdir(): Can't open directory /var/clamav/daily.inc
> ERROR: Unable to open file or directory
>
> So it looks like Sarah is correct.  I did notice that I tried changing the
> /var/clamav/daily.inc directory to 755 before to get the clamavmodule to
> work but for some reason, it would change back to 700 after a day so I
> went back to using the normal clamav as it would still process mail.  I'll
> try it again but it looks that you guys found the culprit.

Hm, this sounds like you have some form of "permissions/security"
system running... Reminds me of the troubles one can get if running
Mandriva at an elevated security level... The msec service will
check/amend all "system" files permissions, so if one needs change
them, one has to tell the security system too.
I used to do just that with msec (not the best documented feature of
Mandriva:-), but now I instead secure a "Standard level" by hand
instead... that way system updates have very little chance of messing
that particular thing up.

Not knowing what OS you run Zivago, I/we can't be more specific than
"look for a system like that, and 'fix it'":-).

Might t even be ClamAV itself doing this?

BTW, thanks Sarah for the (as it turns out) very correct suggestion.

Cheers,
--
-- Glenn