Image spam

Renee Gehlbach krgehlba at lexairinc.com
Wed Feb 28 19:42:42 CET 2007

Chris Yuzik wrote:
> My impression is that pretty much anything that arrives with an
> attached GIF these days is image spam. Are you seeing much ham with an
> attached GIF?
I see plenty of ham w/ attached gifs through one of my servers, but very
little from others.  Yet another example there being no one standard
pattern for ham.

> I suppose some people perhaps have their company logo attached to
> their emails, but would it be better if they just had the appropriate
> code in their signature to pull the company logo image from their
> website?
Hmm....  why exactly would this be preferable?  We tend to set email
clients not to permit the display non-attached images in html messages.
Thunderbird and Squirrelmail, I believe, even do this by default.  I've
heard plenty of arguments against allowing email clients to go retrieve
pictures, do you have arguments for it?

> I would love to do something...anything...to thwart this damned image
> spam. It's tempting to just strip GIF files out of emails, but then
> the spam would likely start to arrive as a JPG or PNG.
Do you use Fuzzy OCR?  It's the only way I've found to really target
image spam.

Renee Gehlbach

believed to be clean.