Besides clamav what other AV for MS

Kevin Miller Kevin_Miller at ci.juneau.ak.us
Wed Feb 28 17:22:12 CET 2007

Erick Perez wrote:
> I use clamav+MS in a small business. Besides clamav, what other AV
> engine that is also free can i use in a business? I see bitdefender
> has a free scanner but is targeted at home use.

I've been using F-Secure in addition to bitdefender and clamav.  It uses
three different av engines; f-prot; kasperski, and some other one I
can't recall at the moment.  Not sure how they do that, but I've been
quite happy with it.  Gotta pay for it, of course, but it's a lot
cheaper than the IT department cleaning up an outbreak! :-)

Truth be told however, I see very few viruses hitting my MailScanner
box.  I reject an awful lot of emails at the MTA via greet-pause and
recipient/sender checking.  I suspect that many of what would be virus
laden messages are thus squelched before they're allowed anywhere near
my mail servers.  That shouldn't be construed as a suggestion that
anybody slacken their AV profile - I'm just curious to know what sort of
virus hit rate others see...

...Kevin
155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500