How often need bayes to be rebuild

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Feb 27 00:37:10 CET 2007

Joakim Cefalk spake the following on 2/26/2007 3:17 PM:
> Do i need to rebuild my bayes db? Becuse after my rebuild a lot of spam
> are passing thru. I have restored the bayes db from the backup again.
>
> Scott Silva skrev:
>> Joakim Cefalk spake the following on 2/26/2007 12:29 PM:
>>
>>> What settings should i change more then Rebuild Bayes Every.

>> If you have never done a bayes rebuild, I would recommend you do a manual
>> rebuild first. (sa-learn --force-expire)
>> Then the following is what I have for a daily run;
>>
>> # If you are using the Bayesian statistics engine on a busy server,
>> # you may well need to force a Bayesian database rebuild and expiry
>> # at regular intervals. This is measures in seconds.
>> # 1 day = 86400 seconds.
>> # To disable this feature set this to 0.
>> # Note: If you enable this feature, set "bayes_auto_expire 0" in
>> #       spam.assasssin.prefs.conf which you will find in the same
>> #       directory as this file.
>> Rebuild Bayes Every = 86400
>>
>> # The Bayesian database rebuild and expiry may take a 2 or 3 minutes
>> # to complete. During this time you can either wait, or simply
>> # disable SpamAssassin checks until it has completed.
>> Wait During Bayes Rebuild = yes
>>

>> I would recommend that you set "wait during bayes rebuild = yes"
>> so the expiry runs don't get killed by spamassassin accessing the bayes db.

A rebuild is only supposed to clean up old and expired entries. It shouldn't
affect scoring. Your bayes might have been auto-rebuilding anyway, because I
think that is the default in the newer spamassassins.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and