How often need bayes to be rebuild

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Feb 26 21:40:24 CET 2007

Joakim Cefalk spake the following on 2/26/2007 12:29 PM:
> What settings should i change more then Rebuild Bayes Every.
>
> Scott Silva skrev:
>> Joakim Cefalk spake the following on 2/26/2007 4:39 AM:
>>
>>> Hello!
>>>
>>> I have not rebuild my bayes db since i started to using it in 2005. I
>>> have only 200 messages a day, about 30% i high scoring spam and 5-10%
>>> low scoring.
>>> What should i set my "Rebuild Bayes Every" to?  I'm using MySQL as
>>> storage for the bayes db.
>>>
>>> Joakim
>>>

>> I rebuild daily, and it only takes a minute or so.

If you have never done a bayes rebuild, I would recommend you do a manual
rebuild first. (sa-learn --force-expire)
Then the following is what I have for a daily run;

# If you are using the Bayesian statistics engine on a busy server,
# you may well need to force a Bayesian database rebuild and expiry
# at regular intervals. This is measures in seconds.
# 1 day = 86400 seconds.
# To disable this feature set this to 0.
# Note: If you enable this feature, set "bayes_auto_expire 0" in
#       spam.assasssin.prefs.conf which you will find in the same
#       directory as this file.
Rebuild Bayes Every = 86400

# The Bayesian database rebuild and expiry may take a 2 or 3 minutes
# to complete. During this time you can either wait, or simply
# disable SpamAssassin checks until it has completed.
Wait During Bayes Rebuild = yes

I would recommend that you set "wait during bayes rebuild = yes"
so the expiry runs don't get killed by spamassassin accessing the bayes db.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and