Fixing Bayes

Billy A. Pumphrey bpumphrey at woodmclaw.com
Fri Feb 23 20:08:16 CET 2007

The
> starter kit will begin to learn as new ham/spam comes in.  It is based
> on older spam, and your spam profile may not match fsl's, but it'll
> learn fast.  Are you using MailWatch along with MailScanner?  There's
> tools in there to monitor the health of your bayes database (as well
as
> other things).
>
> My bayes database was corrupted some time back and I replaced it with
> the starter kit.  Immediately saw improvement in the spam catching...
>
> ...Kevin
> --
> Kevin Miller                Registered Linux User No: 307357
> CBJ MIS Dept.               Network Systems Admin., Mail Admin.
> 155 South Seward Street     ph: (907) 586-0242
> Juneau, Alaska 99801        fax: (907 586-4500
> --

Ok, looks like I got it.  I did have to reset the permissions.  I found
online a permission setting of:
Chmod -R 770 /etc/MailScanner/bayes

Before doing that the bayes in mailwatch would not show up.  After doing
the permissions ayes did show up.

Bayes Database Information
Number of Spam Messages: 1,963
Number of Ham Messages: 313
Number of Tokens: 158,099
Oldest Token: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:25:43 -0500
Newest Token: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:39:54 -0500
Last Journal Sync: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 13:37:00 -0500
Last Expiry: Wed, 31 Dec 1969 19:00:00 -0500
Last Expiry Reduction Count: 0 tokens

Indeed I am using mailwatch.

Thank you for your help.

believed to be clean.