wildcards in whitelist

Furnish, Trever G TGFurnish at herffjones.com
Thu Feb 22 22:27:05 CET 2007

Aren't they supposed to be perl regexes, and in that case, doesn't
.boo.com still match aboo.com?

In perl (and most other regex implementations AFAIK) the period
represents a single occurance of (almost) any character, so the
following command line:

	echo aboo | perl -ne 'print "yes\n" if (/.boo/)'

...does in fact print "yes".  If you don't want . to match 'any
character', then you should escape it with a backslash.

Actually I've wondered frequently whether this weren't a mistake in the
MailScanner examples, but have never taken the time to go through the
code and decide for certain.  There is an occurance of "\." in the
rules/EXAMPLES file for escaping the periods between octets in an ip
address.  I don't see anything to indicate that it shouldn't also be
used between domain parts.