Slightly OT: Choosing an outbound MTA Setup

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Thu Feb 22 14:14:12 CET 2007

On Wed, February 21, 2007 19:13, am.lists wrote:
> I have my inbound MTA as Postfix, coming into MailScanner. As my
> hosting organization grows, I'm trying to scale as smartly as
> possible.
>
> The before picture (even before MailScanner) was a single box running
> about 60 domains. Web, FTP, Mail (plus commercial spam/virus filtering
> tools).
>
> We suffered through enough DDOS and dictionary attacks on the mail
> server that we could justify putting a MailScanner proxy into place.
> While we're still converting domains over to that infrastructure,
> We're now looking at sorting out the mail sendout piece.
>
> I'd like to qo with either Qmail or Postfix on a dedicated box, this
> way we can have the resources to just pump out the mail. We do a
> considerable amount of newsletters / mail lists for our users (all
> opt-in of course!),
>
> My proposed config would be fairly light:
> - MTA
> - Domain Keys signing ability
> - Administration (webmin, or something more than just ssh to manage it)
>
> I'd also like to use domain keys on the outbound side to further
> legitimize our messages.
>
> Postfix has "dkfilter.out" for this, but I'm wondering if anyone here
> has any suggestions.
>
> PS: I purposely didn't go on to the Postfix list and ask "Postfix or
> Qmail?" because I'm not sure I would have gotten the most unbiased
> opinion there. :-P At least here I know people have epxerience with a
> variety of configurations.

I would use the same MTA for out bound as you do in (I mean as program not
box!) as you are familiar  with it and you can share some of the configs
between the two to reduce your admin overhead. For example, I would keep
the recipient maps in MySQL with passwords (Linked to your IMAP/ POP
deamon) then tell Postfix to use the same details to auth the out going
SMTP. You already know that Postfix can handle the load and has a pretty
good queue processor, which really helps with mailing lists.

My 2p worth

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned
for viruses and dangerous content by the Technology Tiger MailScanner.

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ