{**possible spam detected**} RE: performance testing new server, results

Chris Yuzik itdept at fractalweb.com
Wed Feb 21 22:24:06 CET 2007

Martin.Hepworth wrote:
> I think the recommended number of children is start at 5 children per
> CPU CORE so you should be able to run 10 children.

Hi Martin,

Yes, I have it at the recommended setting of 10.
> Tuning the batch size is next (add 5 see any difference, remove 5 note
> difference).

I should likely not tune the batch size when I'm artificially loading
the server by dumping hundreds of messages into the queue dir. I'll wait
until it's live then start playing with that.
> Have a look in the wiki for optimisation tips..
>
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=maq:index#optimization_tips
>
> and see how these affect your performance...

Thanks for the link; I'll check it out.

As it stands right now, my guess is that this server will handle about
100 messages per minute without too many complaints, given the current
configuration. We don't currently see anywhere near this, but it's nice
to know we've got the overhead.

Now, stats are always a nice thing to know. I know about MailWatch, but
it would be great to have something that logs the number of messages
hitting our server per minute, average time in the queue, etc. I realize
that we can turn on speed logging in the MailScanner.conf file, but
manually going through the logs is not much fun. Do you know of anything
that will give us this dashboard-type view to our server?

Cheers,
Chris