SMTP authentication not working

James R. Stevens jstevens at athensdistributing.com
Tue Feb 20 00:01:06 CET 2007

Again, it been some time since our SMTP AUTH project but,
From what I remember the authentication mechanism still reads the
/etc/shadow passwords via PAM. We just had to create the accounts of the
mobile email folks before it would work. I thought of it as a whitelist
of sorts...

More forward in your testing. Change the shadow password via whatever
means you like and see if the SMTP authentication attempts uses the new
password.