Queue files getting stuck - FreeBSD+exim split spool+MS4.58.9

TCIS List Acct listacct at tulsaconnect.com
Mon Feb 19 06:57:43 CET 2007

I just deployed a new MailScanner box tonight with the following specs:

FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE/amd64
perl 5.8.8 with threads installed from ports
MailScanner 4.58.9 installed from tarball
exim 4.66 installed from ports
SpamAssassin 3.1.8 installed from tarball (w/Razor2 enabled)
All Perl modules installed via CPAN

MailScanner is configured for split spool on exim.  When I first fired it up, it
complained that I had forgotten to create /var/spool/MailScanner (and the
subdirs), which I went ahead and did.  After that, startup seemed to go fine,
and I fired up exim.

Everything seemed to go smoothly (and I did get some messages processed OK)
until I noticed that the batch size consistently was around 27 messages, even
though the box was very lightly loaded.  I then grep'ed /var/log/maillog and
discovered that MailScanner was processing the same messages over and over.  I
did a find /var/spool/ -name <msgid> and found that the -H and -D files did
exist in /var/spool/exim_incoming/input/X (where X was the split folder they
happened to be in), and the same <msgid> existed in /var/spool/MailScanner in
several differently-named subdirectories, and every time MailScanner was
restarted, it duplicated that message over and over in new subdirs.

So, for whatever reason, those messages would never get moved to
/var/spool/exim/input/X to be picked up by the MTA for delivery even though
MailScanner did process them.  A grep of /var/log/maillog confirmed that the
msgid was received but never sent.  Since the batch of messages was small and
mostly spam, I decided to just clear them all from all folders I found them in.
  Once I did that and restarted, the problem seems to have disappeared and
messages are being processed as expected.

I just wanted to report this in case it is a known issue or is explainable based
on my description of events.  Unfortunately I did not keep copies of the
messages, which I wish I had done to investigate further.

Mike Bacher / listacct at tulsaconnect.com
TCIS - TulsaConnect Internet Services
http://www.tulsaconnect.com