BAYES issues

Jay Chandler chandler.lists at chapman.edu
Fri Feb 16 19:57:42 CET 2007

Anthony Peacock wrote:
> Glenn Steen wrote:

>>> logs?

>>> Hmm!  That does look like you have a screwed up SA configuration.
>>>
>>> Those are standard rules that come with SA, so if they are missing you
>>> have a bad installation.
>>>
>>> The standard rule file with the Bayes rules in is called 23_bayes.cf
>>>
>>> It should be installed in /usr/local/share/spamassassin
>>>
>>> If you run sa-update you may also have a newer copy in
>>>
>>> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org  (or similar
>>> depending on SA version)
>>>
>>> I am still confused, as you seemed to be able to get a Bayes score when
>>> running from the command line, but not when running with MailScanner.
>>>
>>> There must be something different with the environments between
>>> those two.
>>>
>> I'd suspect the settings in MailScanner for things like "SpamAssassin
>> Local State Dir" to be wrong. Since Jays SpamAssassin seems to get
>> along famously without any particular setting, I think he should try
>> setting that to a blank value (so that the "built-into-SA-defaults"
>> kick in, wrt finding the sa-updated stuff), and if that fails set it
>> to something like /var/lib/spamassassin (but only if it still fails).
>
> That was my initial thought.  But even if that is set incorrectly
> shouldn't SA 'fall back' on the base installed versions in
> /usr/local/share?
>
> Checking that setting will certainly help.

Just fixed a couple path settings-- now I find that the modified rules I
put in the directory that's shared by all the MX boxes are being
supplanted by the /usr/local/share/spamassassin rules.  For example:  I
set the URIBL score to 6, but now hits on that rule are getting scored a
3.  How do I fix this?

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University
714.628.7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
Today's Excuse: A star wars satellite accidently blew up the WAN.