mailscanner behind a smtpd frontend trust network

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 10:46:20 CET 2007

On 16/02/07, Ramprasad <ram at netcore.co.in> wrote:
> Hello,
>
>    If the MX is pointed to some machine and is then relayed to my
> MailScanner box how can I configure whitelisted IPs
>
> I currently use MailScanner on the MX box with
>
> MailScanner.conf
> -------------------
> Is Definitely Not Spam= /path/whitelist
>

> And in the file
> -----------------
> From: 1.1.1.1 and To: mydomain.com  yes
>

> Will this work if I move the MailScanner box behind a smtpd frontend

If I read you right, I don't think it will. If all mail will
"originate" from that "in front" smtp server, the IP address as a
criterion would lose any meaning in this context.
Why would you want to hide your MailScanner box behind another? If it
is a firewall thing (like the icky SMTP proxy in a WatchGuard), simply
don't use it, configure it as a simple port forward instead.
Cheers
--
-- Glenn