BAYES issues

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 16 10:09:52 CET 2007

On 16/02/07, Anthony Peacock <a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
> Jay Chandler wrote:
> >> <snip>What's more is, I got that output from crontab, running the
> >> command as the postfix user...
> >>
> >> So I'm... rather confused.  What should Bayes be showing as in my logs?
> >>

> > Interesting.
> >
> > Just linted and got this:
> > config: warning: score set for non-existent rule BAYES_99
> > config: warning: score set for non-existent rule BAYES_95
> > config: warning: score set for non-existent rule BAYES_00
> > config: warning: score set for non-existent rule BAYES_05
> >
> > Is there a Bayes ruleset file that I'm potentially missing?
> >

> Hmm!  That does look like you have a screwed up SA configuration.
>
> Those are standard rules that come with SA, so if they are missing you
> have a bad installation.
>
> The standard rule file with the Bayes rules in is called 23_bayes.cf
>
> It should be installed in /usr/local/share/spamassassin
>
> If you run sa-update you may also have a newer copy in
>
> /var/lib/spamassassin/3.001007/updates_spamassassin_org  (or similar
> depending on SA version)
>
> I am still confused, as you seemed to be able to get a Bayes score when
> running from the command line, but not when running with MailScanner.
>
> There must be something different with the environments between those two.

I'd suspect the settings in MailScanner for things like "SpamAssassin
Local State Dir" to be wrong. Since Jays SpamAssassin seems to get
along famously without any particular setting, I think he should try
setting that to a blank value (so that the "built-into-SA-defaults"
kick in, wrt finding the sa-updated stuff), and if that fails set it
to something like /var/lib/spamassassin (but only if it still fails).

... Or am I reading this backwards? Could it be some type of bum
sa-update not copying everything as it should to the new location...
Jay, if you "find /var -name \*bayes.cf -print" what do you get? Did
you run/do you run periodically sa-update?

--
-- Glenn