BAYES issues

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Feb 16 09:08:37 CET 2007

Scott Silva wrote:
> Anthony Peacock spake the following on 2/15/2007 11:38 AM:
>> Jay Chandler wrote:

>>> aconcagua# cat /var/log/maillog |grep BAYES
>>> Feb 15 01:24:24 aconcagua MailScanner[57909]: Message A60174554E.EC45D
>>> from 65.54.246.232 (bf1997 at hotmail.fr) to chapman.edu is spam,
>>> SpamAssassin (not cached, score=8.308, required 6, SARE_BAYES_5x7
>>> 0.60, SARE_FRAUD_X3 1.67, SARE_FRAUD_X4 1.67, SARE_FRAUD_X5 1.67,
>>> SARE_FRAUD_X6 1.67, SARE_MILLIONSOF 0.32, SARE_URGBIZ 0.72)
>>> Feb 15 05:44:29 aconcagua MailScanner[98220]: Message 55C7A455C4.48148
>>> from 146.142.40.232 (bounce-ximpim-351275 at list.bls.gov) to chapman.edu
>>> is not spam, SpamAssassin (not cached, score=3.5, required 6,
>>> MANGLED_MEDS 2.30, SARE_BAYES_5x7 0.60, SARE_BAYES_6x7 0.60)
>>> aconcagua#
>>>
>>> This is for approximately ten thousand messages since six hours ago.
>>>
>>> Do I need a Bayes rule that defines scores for each level?  I'm not
>>> sure I have one by default...
>> In which case I suspect that you have a working Bayes for whichever user
>> you run the command line tests as, but not for the user which
>> MailScanner runs as.
>>
>> Which user did you log in as to run the SA command line tests?
>>
>> Which user does MailScanner run as?
>>
>> By default SA will use different Bayes databases for different users. So
>> if MailScanner runs as root it will use root's Bayes database, if you
>> then run the SA command line as user jaychandler it will use that user's
>> database.
>>
> But in sql, you need to just have the proper username in the
> bayes_sql_override_username setting, and it should work.

I know I use SQL for my Bayes set up.

There was nothing in the original debug output from the OP that made me
think that he was using SQL for his Bayes database.

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples