Recent issue with SORBS

Ken A ka at pacific.net
Thu Feb 15 17:26:46 CET 2007

am.lists wrote:
> I would prefix the suffix with OT, but this list seems pretty
> forgiving for topics that shift a bit.
>
> Our SMTP server (outbound) has an IP that is in a block that was
> assigned to us (we own about 40 IPs in the entire /24).
>
> Now, as the result of some other other customer's behavior, we have
> hoops to jump through to get off of that list.
>
> We contacted SORBS:  They said that "it's up to [us] to choose where
> we want to be hosted, and we're currently hosting in the Internet
> equivalent of a crack slum"

That's the killer right there. You will find yourself listed by SORBS,
and probably re-listed even if you pay the 'donation to charity' that
they require in some cases. SORBS and others tend to list on /24 or
larger blocks, probably just for ease of maintenance. Do a reverse
lookup on all the IPs in your range. If they come back as 'xxx'
'marketing' and 'warez' or similar, move your hosting. It's not worth
the pain. :-\

Ken A.
Pacific.Net