Recent issue with SORBS

am.lists am.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 15 16:15:49 CET 2007

I would prefix the suffix with OT, but this list seems pretty
forgiving for topics that shift a bit.

Our SMTP server (outbound) has an IP that is in a block that was
assigned to us (we own about 40 IPs in the entire /24).

Now, as the result of some other other customer's behavior, we have
hoops to jump through to get off of that list.

We contacted SORBS:  They said that "it's up to [us] to choose where
we want to be hosted, and we're currently hosting in the Internet
equivalent of a crack slum"

We contacted our Host Facility: They said that SORBS is essentially an
extortionist organization. They ask you to pay a fine ($50) to delist
the block. As a large organization, sometimes customers do send a
message that is classified as spam. As a responsible hosting provider,
they deal with them accordingly. Specifically, if one of the
blacklists notifies them of an infraction, they give the customer one
warning. There is no second warning and their account is turned off.

So. We have two very different points of view. Who's right? Does
anyone else have any experience with this sort of thing one way or the
other?

I believe we have our single-IP whitelisted on SORBS for now, but it
sounds like this is an ugly, ugly situation.

Angelo