OTBR: Is mail really getting through

John Schmerold john at katy.com
Wed Feb 14 19:25:53 CET 2007

Systems like Nagios do a fine job of making sure that an SMTP server is
up, however it does not confirm mail is flowing. This morning, something
was causing Postfix to throw "450 Server configuration problems"
rejections (I think policyd died), a quick reboot solved the problem.

I want to know about this before the phone rings.

To me: a logical solution would be a program that sends emails every 10
minutes to itself through a relay, then checks its account via POP3 to
make sure it got the message. If it doesn't get the email with 5 minutes
it starts alerting me through SMS, fax, phone call whatever.

Anyone know of such a beast?

BTW: OTRB is OT But Related