Help debugging false positives with SURBL

Ian cobalt-users1 at fishnet.co.uk
Wed Feb 14 10:54:34 CET 2007

On 14 Feb 2007 at 7:14, Alex Broens wrote:

> On 2/13/2007 5:51 PM, Ian wrote:
> > On 13 Feb 2007 at 16:27, Steve Freegard wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Ian,

> >> Try this:
> >>
> >> Place the attached file into your CustomFunctions directory
> >> (/usr/lib/MailScanner/MailScanner/CustomFunctions on RedHat and clones),
> >> then in MailScanner.conf set:
> >>
> >> Always Looked Up Last = &SALongReport
> >
> > Hi Steve,
> >
> > Thanks for this.
> >
> > I already have:
> >
> > 	Always Looked Up Last = &MailWatchLogging
> >
> > So I did a bit of hacking and added the line:
> >
> > 	MailScanner::Log::InfoLog($message->{salongreport});
> >
> > to the 'MailWatchLogging' subrouting after:
> >
> > 	# Don't bother trying to do an insert if  no message is passed-in
> > 	return unless $message;
> >
> > I'll let you know how I go on. Thanks for your help
>
> Hi Ian
>
> Is this working?
>
> Which file did you modify to do it?

Hi Alex,

I have attached the file Mailwatch.pm.

I simply added the lines:

   # log full spamassassin report to syslong
	MailScanner::Log::InfoLog($message->{salongreport});

at line 199-200.

This worked great but did not help me debug the false positives as they stopped after I
fixed the cron script to not print any output unless there was an error.  Even after I
changed the script back to the original, it no longer gets tagged.

I now suspect that one of our domain names got into SURBL for a short period and then
the cron email was cached by spamassassin. Does this sound likely?  The cron email was
identical (apart from the Date: field) each time.

Regards

Ian