Diskspace on redhat ent 3

Res res at ausics.net
Wed Feb 14 06:00:16 CET 2007

On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Peter Nitschke wrote:

>> In your case I've used this, on the front ends, 2x36G (can be 18G if you
>> have them spare) 10K rpm scsi in raid 1 for the OS (ext2). Then 1x36G 10k
>> rpm for /var/log (ext2) and 1x72G 15K rpm for /var/spool (reiser).
>> No need for raid on those two disks.
>> I also use a ramdrive for /var/spool/MailScanner.
>
> Serious stuff!  Fortunately most junk gets blocked at the MTA level, so my

Serious hardware needed, it ensures things run smooth... and when things
run smooth, I'm happy, and I get to sit here and drink bloody decaf and
annoy you mob ;)

> processing load isn't too bad on a fairly ordinary PC.  However if I can
> get a gain just from changing file systems, then I would be happy to look
> into it.

I'm sure you'd notice the difference, but it depends on your traffic.

> As it's a gateway it only needs a handful of Gb as long as I don't let
> quarantine build up too much.

So long as you use scsi you should be right, ide and sata are just not in
the race, even the smallest of colo boxes can made to hissy fit if
someone spam bombs it.

I use 72G on those drives because of the volume of mail and if something
breaks and goes un-noticed overnight (like it has before courtesy of dcc
failing and blowing the batch out, also when clamavmodule kept bailing
in middle of night for no reason and mail only got queued) nothing can
be rejected for disk space, once bitten... there will never be a second :)

It wouldn't be so bad if the gaymers who seem to be the only ones up all
night checked their mail and reported problems, even at 2am is better than
the normal people finding out at 7-8 am... especially if you find out it
shat itself at 11pm :D

--
Cheers
Res

"We can be Heroes, just for one day" - Davey (Jones) Bowie