Diskspace on redhat ent 3

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 02:41:12 CET 2007

On 14/02/07, Res <res at ausics.net> wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Feb 2007, Glenn Steen wrote:
>
> > It is those times when the complete filesystem goes bonkers on you (be
> > that from HW problems like head crashes or whatever) that you start
> > regretting the one-for-all strategy. Or if you have a somewhat modern
>
> Standardised OS drive (except bind/sendmail/qmail/apache/sql/some_daemon),
> well 2 off in raid 1, then the other 4 drives (or many more if SAN) in
> raid 10, works very well, basic redundancy, but excellent speed.

And then you have that spiffy RAID controller write cache memory go
bad and/or some bloody firmware bug kick in and it starts to scribble
doodles all over your raidset(s)... :-)
Not that I'm disagreeing, basically I do agree, the reasons for using
non-monolithic filesystem installs are getting more scarce:-).

> One thing though, if it's an Email server, I'd recommend use reiserfs, it
> leaves ext2/ext3 for dead especially in Maildir setups but even mbox has
> substantial benefits.
Most any journalised/logging FS _other_ than ext3 will have that
benefit (ext3 is a dawg:-). And ReiserFS is no bad choice. There are
reasons for using ext3, but most of those have little bearing on
anything:-P

Cheers
--
-- Glenn