Diskspace on redhat ent 3

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Feb 13 18:35:13 CET 2007

Howard Robinson spake the following on 2/13/2007 8:57 AM:
> Dear List
> I had what amounts to a DOS attack on Friday when one of our users
> decided to email 900+ external accounts with a 4.2mb attachment. Given
> that our normal total daily through put is <1gb it was an unusual load
> for our box. After a while the server ran out of space on /var, where
> all the spool queues are, and whilst it didn't actually stop it went
> VERY slowly. After releasing some disk space  it ran with a load of 7
> for quite some time.
>
> What would be the best option that will allow me to put the queues
> somewhere else so that there is a bit more of a cushion? I could use
> part of the /usr directory as it has quite a bit of free space or create
> a new partition.
> If I do this is it better to recompile Sendmail to look at the new
> directory or use a link pointing to the new location?
> Same with MailScanner -  editing MailScanner.conf or using  link to the
> new location?
>
> Thanks
You could symlink in some space from another partition, maybe the quarantine
directory or /var/tmp. Or you could move some of the queue into a different
partition and move it back a little at a time. I try to leave 5 or 10 gigs
free somewhere to have space I can toss in for emergencies. You could also use
some space on a usb2 hard drive in an emergency, although it could be slow.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and