Help debugging false positives with SURBL

Ian cobalt-users1 at fishnet.co.uk
Tue Feb 13 15:06:50 CET 2007

On 13 Feb 2007 at 14:06, Sattler, Tim wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I am having trouble with the spamassassin SURBL tests and cron emails.
>
> > For some strange reason I am getting this score on an email delivered
> > via MailScanner:
>
> You should check to see whether your setup matches one of the following
> conditions mentioned on surbl.org:
>
> <quote>
> DNS bugs and incompabilities leading to false positives

<snip>

> We had a similar issue when using OpenDNS as DNS forwarder.

Hi,

Thanks Tim, yes I did check the spamassassin archives before posting here so I saw that
one.  This is a brand new install with version 3.1.7 and we woulnd't touch OpenDNS in a
business environment, anything that modifies dns queries/responses would only cause
problems in my opinion.

I posted to this list because it only happens when the mail is passed through MailScanner, so
I actually need help on debugging on what happens to the message when it is passed to
spamassassin from MailScanner.  I actually need to know what MailScanner/SpamAssassin
thinks is the bad url.

Is it the domain name of the server?  The name of the perl script? Something else I'm not
seeing?

What does the MailScanner option:

	Debug SpamAssassin = yes

actually do?  Where do I read the debug output?

Any help would be appreciated.

Ian