LookOUT 2007

sandrews at andrewscompanies.com sandrews at andrewscompanies.com
Tue Feb 13 02:26:04 CET 2007

Not a load of rot.  Linus didn't go playing around until 1991.  At that
point, it was pretty much Microsoft and OS2; and they were both pushing
intel on the hardware side.  Both of them were dog slow compared to DOS
and at that time, everyone thought it just fine if all you did was
connect to a netware box.

During that time, AS400s were thought to be the next big thing because
they weren't the big cost of S390s.  Hell, I had a 9401 series at home
during that period.  It was insanely expensive, but all good RPG
programmers had them, so what the heck.

If it weren't for MS and OS2 pushing Intel to develop faster
microprocessors, the whole thing could have been lost to 390s and minis
connected to dumb terminals.

The agruement that Unix in it's non-linux form existed before that time
is accurate; however, it was a huge cost and few trusted it on x86
hardware at the time; oh yeah, and let's not forget that the 390s and
the AS400s beat the crap out of it in raw performance AND the cost per
transaction related to that performance.