Do others see this effect in their maillogs?

Duncan, Brian M. brian.duncan at kattenlaw.com
Mon Feb 12 17:51:20 CET 2007

I sent this out back in December of 06 without any replies.  Figured I
would try again now. People were probably out on vacation..

I am seeing in the logs that when a message is determined to be Spam
because of RBL checks it does NOT output the right info
on the log but when it fails because of Spam Assassin analysis of the
message it does print the right info in the logs.

I see this on all 3 of my Mailscanner servers in my logs. (I recently
updated to current MailScanner version with same results)

Correct log notation: (ONLY occurs when SpamAssassin is involved)

MailScanner[29410]: Message kBJ96Lbp009914 from 195.22.235.12
(ikfrjqvpvd at mdl.net <mailto:ikfrjqvpvd at mdl.net> ) to kattenlaw.com is
spam, SpamAssassin (not cached, score=19.049, required 6.5, BAYES_99
6.00, HTML_40_
50 0.50, HTML_MESSAGE 0.00, MIME_HTML_MOSTLY 1.10, NO_RDNS2 0.01,
SARE_CSBIG 1.66, SARE_MLB_Stock1 2.
00, SARE_MLH_Stock1 1.66, SARE_RMML_Stock26 1.12, STCK_SPAM_BODY17 2.00,
STCK_SPAM_BODY21 1.50, STCK_
SPAM_BODY28 1.50)

Incorrect log notation: (message failed RBL)
MailScanner[29447]: Message kBJ97QAb009965 from 61.116.74.25
(econnors at afr.com.au <mailto:econnors at afr.com.au> ) to kattenlaw.com is
dnsbl

it should actually read:
MailScanner[29447]: Message kBJ97QAb009965 from 61.116.74.25
(econnors at afr.com.au <mailto:econnors at afr.com.au> ) to kattenlaw.com is
spam, dnsbl

Another incorrect log notation:
MailScanner[31970]: Message kBJHT94h004055 from 221.200.186.157
(cwkomvq at broward.org) to kattenlaw.com is cbl, MAPS-ALL,
zen.spamhaus.org

I see this behavior on ALL of my mail servers.

Is this only me?

All my RBL checks work fine, it is just the notation in the log that is
messed up.

Thanks for any info

CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: Pursuant to Regulations Governing Practice Before the Internal Revenue Service, any tax advice contained herein is not intended or written to be used and cannot be used by a taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer.
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This electronic mail message and any attached files contain information intended for the exclusive use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is proprietary, privileged, confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any viewing, copying, disclosure or distribution of this information may be subject to legal restriction or sanction.  Please notify the sender, by electronic mail or telephone, of any unintended recipients and delete the original message without making any copies.