Performance

Drew Marshall drew at technologytiger.net
Sun Feb 11 20:16:49 CET 2007

On 11 Feb 2007, at 17:42, Glenn Steen wrote:

> On 11/02/07, Koopmann, Jan-Peter <jan-peter at koopmann.eu> wrote:
>> On Wednesday, January 31, 2007 3:21 PM John Schmerold wrote:
>>
>> > I'll get these suggestions implemented, only one I have problem
>> > implementing is the relay_recipient_maps suggestions. This box is a
>> > filter for several endpoints.
>>
>> If you are using Exim, why not use recipient callouts? That should
>> work
>> nicely and no scripting is necessary.
>>
>> Kind regards,
>>  JP
> The Postfix he is using should be able to do that too (in a way), but
> ... well, it's more "work" than a nice local hash lookup:-).

It's not more work to set up, it's just a reject_unverified_recipient
in smtpd_recipient_restrictions. The disadvantages (Which is where
the work load comes in) is the gateway to mailbox server traffic,
which will increase and the fact it only will work with MTAs that
know how to reject unknown senders (>Exchange 2000) and it won't work
if the mailbox server that you are 'gatewaying' for is off line so in
that instance all mail destined for that box will be rejected with a
421 unable to verify type message. All in all if you can keep a copy
of the users on the gateway this is usually better (If harder work to
maintain).

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned
for viruses and dangerous content by the Technology Tiger MailScanner.

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ