Scanning for Spam

Anthony Peacock a.peacock at chime.ucl.ac.uk
Fri Feb 9 17:06:58 CET 2007

Hi,

am.lists wrote:
> Anthony,
>
> When I obfuscated my real IP in the htm, I added 1.3 to that score
> (illegal IP 1.2.3.163 and Janet RBL). But otherwise, the kicker was
> the SARE_PROLOSTOCK_SYM3 test... I am not sure I have that rule.

Actually the kicker is Bayes, my Bayes is scoring 99% which gives it a
whole 3.5 points, added to the SARE stocks rules that is enough,
ignoring any network tests (see below)

> I looked on RE and don't see which group that's part of. It seems very
> effective.

That is in 70_SARE_STOCKS

> UPDATE: I just received another text-only one, and it's on the URL below.
>
> I didn't obfuscate any IPs this time, so the THIRD message would be an
> interesting test.
>
> http://mailgw.evokeemail.com/q/20070208.htm

Still get that one,

  pts rule name              description
---- ----------------------
  0.3 TO_EMPTY               To: is empty
  0.1 FROM_NO_LOWER          From address has no lower-case characters
  1.7 SARE_PROLOSTOCK_SYM3   BODY: Last week's hot stock scam
  0.8 SARE_RMML_Stock7       BODY: SARE_RMML_Stock7
  3.5 BAYES_99               BODY: Bayesian spam probability is 99 to 100%
                             [score: 1.0000]
  0.1 TO_CC_NONE             No To: or Cc: header
  1.7 STOCK_NAME_FVGT1       STOCK_NAME_FVGT1

--
Anthony Peacock
"If you have an apple and I have  an apple and we  exchange apples