Out of Topic: IMAP

Rabellino Sergio rabellino at di.unito.it
Thu Feb 8 14:26:33 CET 2007

Roger Jochem wrote:

> Since almost everyone here nows a lot about e-mail, server
> configuration, and that kind of stuff, I was wondering: how many of
> you use IMAP instead of POP3 for mail access?
>
> I allways used POP3 on my server, and reading about IMAP shows me a
> lot of advantages... A problem would be the server disk size, but
> since disks are not so expansive nowadays, I'm considering changing
> the protocol when I upgrade my server.
>
> Any ideas or sugestions about it? Any of you that already had an
> experience with this could give me some tips, some impressions about it?
>
> Regards
>
> Roger Jochem

For users, IMAP is definitely a better solution than POP3.
You can choose to download or not the messages to your MailClient,
reducing considerably the download time, as you can get out from your
server only the subjects.On the other side you need  more disk space on
the server, because the users left the Inbox (and the other mailboxes)
onto the server: more simple to do a mail backup, but more space needed
at all.
We're using imap since '99 - the classic wu-imap Washington University -
an opensource solution, but simple to compile and install, but I think
that many commercial solution - maybe simpler than wu - are available
around the world.

Feel free to ask me directly other info, if you need.

bye.

--
Ing. Sergio Rabellino

 Head of ICT Services