Minor bug in 4.58.9: check_mail:123 "echo -n" is not portable

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 12:51:06 CET 2007

On 07/02/07, Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:

> My best attempt to solve this one is this:
>
> printf 'Starting MailScanner...' 2>/dev/null || echo -n 'Starting
> MailScanner...'

this should work, but might still result in the ugly:
"-n Startin MailScanner...
"

> Then you just have to have one or the other.
> Or even this?
>
> printf 'Starting MailScanner...' 2>/dev/null || echo -n 'Starting
> MailScanner...' 2>/dev/null || echo 'Starting MailScanner...'

This is useless, since you will never fail in the first echo, you will
always produce
"Starting MailScanner...
"

If you are to use any of this, don't test it at "use time", know it
beforehand;-). Or do as I suggested, futz with the PATH:-D

--
-- Glenn