Suggestion to speed MailScanner up

Glenn Steen glenn.steen at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 12:44:50 CET 2007

On 07/02/07, Steve Freegard <steve.freegard at fsl.com> wrote:
> Hi Carlos,
>
> Carlos Pastorino wrote:
> > My suggestion is that MailScanner.conf gives us an option to only
> > check for viruses in the e-mails which are going to be delivered or
> > stored in the quarantine.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
>
> Yes - check your settings for 'Keep Spam and MCP quarantine clean', if
> it is set to 'Yes', then change it to 'No' and I think you'll get the
> desired result.
>
> Kind regards,
> Steve.
Um, yes and no Steve. That would leave him with potential viruses in
the low scoring spam he might quarantine, while letting the "already
slated for deletion" spam avoid being scanned for viruses.
One would think that one should be able to enhance the logic behind
the "Keep Spam and MCP quarantine clean" setting a bit, so that it
actually checks whether the message would be delivered at all,
anywhere...
As an intermediary, one could set the above to no, as per your
suggestion, and then implement the "forward to alias to /dev/null"
trick we used to do before (with the sideeffects that had... dual
quarantine (both spam and virus) etc.) for the Spam Actions ...

Or please correct me if I'm completely off on this... Not quite awake
here yet, so I might've missed some fine nuance:-).

Cheers
--
-- Glenn