Question on attachment defang??!

Michael Masse mrm at medicine.wisc.edu
Mon Feb 5 18:47:04 CET 2007

"Rob Poe" <rpoe at plattesheriff.org> wrote:
> I saw (somewhere) where they had a MailScanner chaning a double
> extension from
>
> bad file name example.reallybad.doc

> bad file name example.defanged-doc
>
> so that the receiver would GET the message but would have to RENAME it
> to actually run it .. instead of it getting stuck in the quarantine.
>
> Looked around in the documentation / faqs but didn't see anything about
> it .. anyone have any good pointers?
>
> thanks!

I don't know if MailScanner can do it or not, but I used to run this procmail tool alongside MailScanner:
http://www.impsec.org/email-tools/procmail-security.html

Which does exactly what you want, among many other things.     The last build of email servers I did for us did not include the procmail sanitizer because I felt it was impacting performance too much, and was also overlapping a lot of what MailScanner does, so I am no longer using this and haven't really missed it either.

Mike