MailScanner ANNOUNCE: Stable version 4.58.9 released

Julian Field MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Feb 2 14:38:03 CET 2007

Glad to hear that is working well.

Any performance differences?
One extra thing I have found is that putting the Bayes database files
onto tmpfs helps a lot. But you need to set up a cron job that
(a) Copies them to another directory on tmpfs (very fast snapshot)
(b) then copies the new files onto disk (relatively slow, but that
doesn't matter)

You will probably want to do this every hour or so.

Add this to the "start" subroutine in the init.d script:

if [ -e /root/.spamassassin/bayes_toks ]; then
  :
else
  cp /root/.spamassassin.copy/* /root/.spamassassin
fi

That copies the disk-based copy into the tmpfs copy, so you start with
the last snapshot.
Add this to a cron job that you run once an hour or so:

#!/bin/sh
if cd /root/.spamassassin ; then
  #ls -al
  mkdir -p copy
  cp * copy
  mkdir -p  /root/.spamassassin.copy
  mv copy/* /root/.spamassassin.copy
  rm -rf copy
fi

And then just mount /root/.spamassassin using tmpfs.

If you have a large number of "Max Children =" all competing for the
same Bayes db, or even just a large Bayes db, this can make quite a
difference to the SpamAssassin speed.

Please let me know if you think this helps at all on your systems, or if
it makes no discernible difference.

Jeff A. Earickson wrote:
> The KickMessage() tweak in 4.58.x has been a great change.  After
> you got the bugs worked out in 4.58.8, I noticed that my queues are
> nearly always empty or near empty.  I wondered if you had just
> routed outbound email to /dev/null.  :)

Jules

- --
Julian Field MEng CITP