OT: building new server, need MTA advice

Res res at ausics.net
Thu Feb 1 01:37:04 CET 2007

On Wed, 31 Jan 2007, Gerard Seibert wrote:

> On Wednesday January 31, 2007 at 03:53:47 (PM) Res wrote:
>
>> Thats very obvious by the posts in here. Sendmail is easiest, followed by
>> Exim and then Postfix (which is the most problematic because of its author)
>

> I would be interested in why you make that statement regarding Postfix. I

You're kidding me right? Just read the archives, and the fact way he
speaks of mailscanner alone not only now but in recent years. His attitude
is alike DJB, prolly half the reason I despise Qmail ( only half
because  DJB has no problem with mailscanner) and why i despise
postfix, I have NO time for arrogant people who have such narrow vision.

> had used Sendmail for several years and found it confusing. Getting SASL,

Some people do, some don't. I will agree in the early days Sendmails
documentation was poor (might stil be I have not looked at it in years)

> trait. I will agree through that milters work far better on Sendmail
> than Postfix. The problem is that they were written with Sendmail in

As Julian pointed out, they were created by Sendmail so it should :)

> Even the clamav milter does not work correctly. I spoke to its

I fail to see the need for anti virus milter when I use MailScanner on
every mail server.

The only milters I use are spf, and on some machines the look-ahead
user lookup milter to back end machines.

--
Cheers
Res

"We can be Heroes, just for one day" - Davey (Jones) Bowie