Mailscanner generated duplicate message.

Mark Sapiro mark at msapiro.net
Mon Dec 24 02:23:31 GMT 2007

Glenn Steen wrote:

>Hm. Not good. The thing is that a message already picked up by one
>child shouldn't be able to be processed by another... Might mean I
>need to go over this (again) to see that any of the changes to support
>the latest versions of PF hasn't broken the base assumptions. Sigh.
>How often do you see this (needless to say, I've not seen this/had any
>reports of duplicates from my rather picky users...), or is it this
>one instance? One should be able to do some log massaging to find
>this...

I went through the maillog files and I found 33,469 MailScanner Requeue
messages. In the first 10,466 (from Nov 25 through Dec 11, 04:04)
there were no apparent dups. In the remaining log entries, I found 8
potential duplication incidents, 4 of which involved new batches with
multiple messages waiting for a total of 15 potential duplicates.

I have reviewed what I did on Dec 10-11, and I think it is likely that
at that time I stopped and started Postfix without restarting
MailScanner. If that could cause this, then I think that is likely to
be the reason. I have since stopped both Postfix and MailScanner and
restarted MailScanner only and let it start Postfix.

I can provide log segments from the above mentioned 8 incidents if they
would be of interest. OTOH, perhaps I should just monitor for a few
days to see if the proper startup of Postfix/MailScanner has 'fixed'
the issue.