Where to put the SA rule(s) file?

Alex Broens ms-list at alexb.ch
Sun Dec 23 23:24:49 GMT 2007

On 12/23/2007 11:30 PM, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I read the docs and I know it was on the list but I can not find the
> info anymore.
>
> Where does one put a local rules file for SpamAssassin and what name
> convention should it use?

/etc/mail/spamassassin

naming is alphabetically parsed so if you need a rules for metas later,
use a low name/number

80_my_rules.cf is parsed before
81_my_metas.cf, etc

alpahanumeric and underscores are supported in names.
(dont' be too creative)

> It might be nice if thanswer also made it to the wiki:
> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:anti_spam:spamassassin:rules:write

This is SA basics so imo, there's no real need to add it on the MS site.

spamassasassin.apache.org has all the Docs you need + its mailing list
which is full of ppl who are very helpful and patient,

h2h

Alex

PS: always run spamassassin --lint -D after writing a rule to see if its
correct.