CentOS 5 yum updates breaks MailScanner

Eric Merkel merkel at metalink.net
Thu Dec 20 14:20:17 GMT 2007

I was in the process of setting up a new MailScanner box on Centos 5. I had
finished installing MailScanner Version 4.65.3-1 for RedHat and tweaking the
system to my liking, I figured I would do a yum update before putting into
production. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but there were
several perl updates from the rpmforge repo which I added to install clamav
from. In any case after doing the updates, MailScanner fails to start.

My questions is, since MailScanner builds a lot of it's own perl rpms from
source during the install script, is there a way to keep further yum updates
from updating or overriding what MailScanner has built?

This is my first time installing MailScanner on Centos so I am not really
familiar with the best procedure to keep the OS as well as MailScanner up to
date. Is there a best practice for doing this?

Eric Merkel / MetaLINK Technologies, Inc