need help blocking emails to non-existent users

Drew Marshall drew.marshall at technologytiger.net
Wed Dec 19 22:48:56 GMT 2007

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 22:33:46 +0000, Julian Field
<MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:
> Then use milter-ahead if you are using sendmail or Postfix, available
from
> http://www.milter.info/sendmail/milter-ahead/
> It will cost you € 90 euros for a site licence for it, but it's well
> worth the small investment.

Agreed if you are running Sendmail. POstfix has this functionality built
it. Just use recipient_verification as one of your smtpd checks and you are
done.

> This is a far more robust solution than trying to reliably read, parse
> and process all the Active Directory entries, which may be out of date
> on newly-created accounts, and require far more long-term maintenance
> than my solution above, which you can just setup and leave alone.
>
> Can someone add this to the wiki please?

I think you will find this is in the Postfix section already
http://wiki.mailscanner.info/doku.php?id=documentation:configuration:mta:postfix:how_to:reject_non_existent_users
(Watch for the wrapping)

Drew

--
In line with our policy, this message has been scanned for viruses and dangerous
content by Tiger Mail www.technologytiger.net/tigermail from Technology Tiger.

Technology Tiger Limited is registered in Scotland with registration number: 310997
Registered Office 55-57 West High Street Inverurie AB51 3QQ