PERL Stuff

Gerard gerard at seibercom.net
Tue Dec 11 10:59:36 GMT 2007

> On December 10, 2007 at 11:24PM Edward Dekkers wrote:

> My question is:
>
> Ubuntu Server 7.10 is listing a whole heap of PERL updates from 5.8.8-7ubuntu3 to 5.8.8-7ubuntu3.1 as availabe updates.
>
> Can someone please confirm this is NOT the update you guys have been talking about and it's safe to install?

Unless you have some over whelming reason not to update Perl, I would
recommend that you install any updates available. Developers usually write for
the latest version of libraries, modules, etc. available. While they attempt
to make their software backward compatible, there is no guarantee that it will
be.

I usually keep my system (FreeBSD) as up-to-date as possible and have rarely
suffered any ill effects, while users with far more conservative approaches
have not always fared as well.

--
Gerard