MailScanner version 4.65.3 and perl-MailTools-2.02-1.el4.rf HOWTO

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Sun Dec 9 12:29:50 GMT 2007

Michael Mansour wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>
> --- Greg Matthews <gmatt at nerc.ac.uk> wrote:
>

>> Erick Perez wrote:
>>
>>> Just a quick help to the comunity, we started to
>>>
>> see many errors in
>>
>>> our systems after a perl upgrade.
>>> So here's how to spot it and fix it (temporary fix
>>>
>> of course)
>>
>>> These instructions are for Centos 4.x / 5.x only,
>>>
>> modify according to
>>
>>> your system
>>>
>> Can't help thinking that this is part of the risk of
>> using 3rd party
>> repos. Much as I'd like a "one-click" installation
>> of MailScanner, I'd
>> rather put the extra work in twice a year to update
>> MS than worry about
>> unapproved upgrades from 3rd party breaking things
>> in unexpected ways.
>>

> The fact that so many people use the 3rd party repo's
> and can help resolve issues IMO outways any benefit to
> building and maintaining things yourself, even if it's
> twice a year.
>
> Community efforts to help others (as shown in the
> Fedora world) really works, individual efforts may
> benefit you in a very small way, but you can't know
> everything.
>
> Regards,
>
> Michael.
>

>> GREG
>>
>> --
>> Greg Matthews           01491 692445
>> Head of UNIX/Linux, iTSS Wallingford
>>
>> --
>> This message (and any attachments) is for the
>> recipient only. NERC
>> is subject to the Freedom of Information Act 2000
>> and the contents
>> of this email and any reply you make may be
>> disclosed by NERC unless
>> it is exempt from release under the Act. Any
>> material supplied to
>> NERC may be stored in an electronic records
>> management system.
>>
>> --
>
>> Before posting, read
>> http://wiki.mailscanner.info/posting
>>
>> Support MailScanner development - buy the book off
>> the website!

"worry about
unapproved upgrades from 3rd party breaking things
in unexpected ways."

I think this quote is a little harsh, in almost all cases the third party repos have packages ahead of the official repos and save time and effort in more cases than they break things.
In my experience the 3rd party repos have what your going to end up with anyway from the official repos, just bit ahead of time.

In any case its just two simple rpm commands to fix the problem that takes under 60seconds to overcome.  IMO not a reason by itself to not use third party repos.

Furthermore there is plenty of excellent support and help on this forum to help identify problems such as these quickly and easily.

MailScanner has such a long list of requirements it make sense to test out updates before going live with them.  I use a separate machine to iron out the bumps.  I avoid updating MailScanner machines unecessarily "for the sake of updating".

Regards

Pete

dangerous content by the Enhancion system Scanner
and is believed to be clean.
http://www.enhancion.net