MailScanner --lint doesn't check Eicar virus - OK here!

Jeff A. Earickson jaearick at colby.edu
Fri Dec 7 13:51:32 GMT 2007

On Fri, 7 Dec 2007, Julian Field wrote:

> Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:41:04 +0000
> From: Julian Field <MailScanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk>
> To: MailScanner discussion <mailscanner at lists.mailscanner.info>
> Subject: Re: MailScanner --lint doesn't check Eicar virus - OK here!

> I don't really want to upgrade the copy of MIME-tools I use to the
> latest, as it now requires Perl 5.8. This will royally screw many of the
> Solaris users out there who only have Perl 5.6 available.
>
> If anyone has any thoughts on this, I'm all ears...

As a longtime Solaris user (soon to be Redhat!) I have to agree with
others here -- 5.6 is ancient.  If you can't be bothered to upgrade
to Solaris 10 and/or build your own version of Perl, then you can't
complain when you get left behind.  I don't even install Sun's perl
from my Jumpstart setup, I install from the latest stable tarball.
I've always thought of MailScanner as "roll your own" instead of canned.

Jeff Earickson
Colby College